Thread: Breeding?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I am just not sure why you would not have her spayed. It is to prevent her from getting certain cancers! Yes, cancer! The big C! Female dogs have a higher rate of developing cancer if not spayed. My sister in-law did not get her dog spayed and her dog (Penny) came down with mammory cancer. I was working as a vet tech when she got it and was there and assisted with her operation. It is so hard to get all the skin around the tumors (very spidery like) and if you do not get all the cells it can come back and spread very quickly - Once the air gets to it it just seems to spread. We did our best and really tried to get it all. Well, we missed something and she was gone in 6 months. Here is a link Mammary Tumors (Cancer) in Dogs I am just not sure why you would not have her spayed. It is to prevent her form getting certain cancers! Yes, cancer! Female dogs have a higher rate of developing cancer if not spayed. My sister in-law did not get her dog spayed and she came down with mammory cancer.I was working as a vet tech when she got it and was there for her operation. It is so hard to get all the skin around the tumors and if you do not get all the cells - because you have her open up for surgery the air gets to it and spreads quickly. You hope in surgery you have gotten it all. Well, we missed some and she was gone in 6 months. Here is a link of information about mammory tumors: Mammary Tumors (Cancer) in Dogs . If you catch it really early recovery is so much better, but sometimes it happens so fast they have and they had it longer than you realize.
So do her a favor and protect her and get her spayed. Spaying will make her better - not change her or her value. Best of luck with her.

Last edited by topknot; 03-19-2010 at 02:47 PM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!