View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Donna thanks for posting this. Mary is right we often get too complacent at the shows. My very first show was a large one at Hamburg New York, and the grooming area was in a separate building from the showring. My hubby and I got back into the grooming area, and found we had just missed an uproar, apparently two kids unsupervised had gone along and opened up dog crates. The exhibitors who were in the building caught the dogs, and managed to get them back in their crates. My hubby and I immediately went and bought a lock for our crate. And we thanked our lucky stars it wasn't Magic's crate that got opened!.

1. Lock up your crate when you can't be by your dog. note: we have bought a locking chain for Razz's little crate to lock onto our big crates.

2. don't leave food or water for your animals out unattended. Take it home with you

3. For our large dogs and crates - we will cover crate with solar blanket especially if we have to leave the dog unattended.

I am glad that the post (even though it got closed so fast) saw the light of day vs a vs Kentucky, as we are going there for our BRT National in Sept. Forewarned is forearmed.
There are so many things exhibitors must keep aware of. I remember an incident at a show one of the Texas Kennel clubs I was a member of. It involved soft sided crates. A larger breed dog somehow escaped and was running ramped through the show site....it took several people to contain him, but not without incident. The dog bit a couple of people. The good thing is the dog never made it out of the building.

Another incident happened (not at a show site) at a hotel. A yorkie went missing for several hours. How this yorkie escaped from the hotel room is still a mystery. The good thing about is that another yorkie exhibitor happened to see it and had it in her room, left a message at the front desk.

Another incident, involving hotel rooms & yorkies.......a yorkie got a hold of rat poison that had been placed there by hotel personel.....due to the quick thinking of the exhibitor the yorkie was saved. So, whenever staying at a hotel/motel....it is always wise to check under beds, furniture, corners before letting your dogs out to romp......

I know that I almost lost my Go-Go at a dog show. Standing ring side with her on the rinside table. A woman and her son entered the show site with an Irish Wolf Hound. She handed the lead over to the 8 or 9 year son, while she shopped at the various vendors. The Wolf Hound was a bit too much for this boy to handle....and was pulling the boy through the area that exhibitors were, waiting to go into the ring. The lead wrapped around my ringside table, just as I lifted Go-Go off the table it was toppled over.

So, as exhibitors and responsible pet owners....so many things to be aware of.....

Things can happen either by accident or by design.

Last edited by Mardelin; 03-19-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!