View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
Here are a few tips for newbies and a reminder for experinced exhibitors....

Always keep your eye on your dogs and grooming stuff at shows.
Always try to share space in pairs (extra set of eyes).
Always have someone in your set up to watch your dogs if you have to leave your set up..never know who's watching and what they'll do to your dog or things when you leave.
Always be aware of your surroundings and those around you just like you would at a mall ect...
Get to know those set up next too you so you can help each other out if you need to leave your set up. Again..( you never know who's watching and waiting ).
Never leave your dogs or grooming equipment at the dog shows especially if you have one or two dogs overnight even though it's allowed and security is on sight.
Always be watching...our dogs are our children and like our children they need our protection.

I hope these tips help those new and old to the show ring and serve as a reminder that never let your guard down and get comfortable in your surroundings.

Donna Bird
Brooklynn's Yorkshire Terriers
Donna thanks for posting this. Mary is right we often get too complacent at the shows. My very first show was a large one at Hamburg New York, and the grooming area was in a separate building from the showring. My hubby and I got back into the grooming area, and found we had just missed an uproar, apparently two kids unsupervised had gone along and opened up dog crates. The exhibitors who were in the building caught the dogs, and managed to get them back in their crates. My hubby and I immediately went and bought a lock for our crate. And we thanked our lucky stars it wasn't Magic's crate that got opened!.

1. Lock up your crate when you can't be by your dog. note: we have bought a locking chain for Razz's little crate to lock onto our big crates.

2. don't leave food or water for your animals out unattended. Take it home with you

3. For our large dogs and crates - we will cover crate with solar blanket especially if we have to leave the dog unattended.

I am glad that the post (even though it got closed so fast) saw the light of day vs a vs Kentucky, as we are going there for our BRT National in Sept. Forewarned is forearmed.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!