Thread: Breeding?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I think you'll get many more responses in the morning, but I can give my opinion for what it's worth. I'm not a breeder by the way.

You asked if it was okay. Yes, it is in that she is yours and if this is what you want to do, it's your right and everything "should" go just fine.

However, whether you plan to breed her one time or four times and whether you plan to keep the pups or sell them doesn't make a bit of difference when talking about health testing. It all applies no matter the purpose for breeding. So blood panels, bile acids testing, thyroid testing, knee and hip checks, eye checks, etc. really still should be done for both the male and female. You'll be out $100s over this. Yorkie c-section rate is higher than a lot of other breeds. Depending on where you live, that can be a couple grand if done on an emergency basis. Then if mom gets eclampsia or whatever, you'll be handfeeding around the clock. And of course there is always the chance that you will lose her. Then the question becomes, are you willing to put her through all of this? It's fine if you are as long as it's done correctly, but it's a lot on her and you to go through it.

If we're talking about her best interest, then she should be spayed instead.

But if you have thousands set aside, a lot of time on your hands (I hear some breeders stay home for weeks after whelp), etc. and you can keep all the pups/give them to people close to you that are going to be able to care for them so that they don't end up in shelters, then go for it.

My opinion is above though. It would be better to skip it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!