View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
OwnedByJezebel
YT 1000 Club Member

The key here is their statement: not to exceed 5 ppm (parts per million) of Ethoxyquin, which is 0.0005%, or one half of one thousandth of 1% – the lower limit of what most certified laboratories are able to detect or measure.

In other words, they test for it to try and certify that their food does not contain ethoxyquin. But the testing laboratories can only detect ethoxyquin if it is 0.0005% or greater. It has to be this high (and that really is an incredibly small amount) before the most sensitive testing equipment and best test methods could ever detect it if trying to find it. So they can't legally state that it isn't there, only that it is "undetectable." Based on the lab capabilities, there is no way to prove it is "zero," this is the best they can do to show that the food doesn't contain the carcinogen.

They know they don't add it to their formula, and they know that their fish comes in fresh and none is added to their fish before they receive it. That, along with their testing that shows it can't be detected using the most sensitive test methods is enough for me. (I have a BS in Chemistry). I insist that my dog's food be ethoxyquin-free, and I would not have any reservations in feeding Acana or Origen.

Last edited by OwnedByJezebel; 03-18-2010 at 02:42 PM.
OwnedByJezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!