View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivesMommy View Post
I knew not to take her to the doggy park, but I didn't realize Petsmart would be an issue. I guess you're right but I'd like to finish the class I paid so much for. I'll just have to keep her away from the other animals (except for her classmate) when we go there. Some of my family has dogs, but I live 10 hours away from them so socialization is limited for her.
You are lucky Olive has only gotten respiratory infections. Puppies who aren't fully vaccinated are very susceptible to parvo which kills. Parvo is a virus that stays on surfaces for months. We had a family here who lost both their Pomeranian puppies a few years ago. They had had two out of their three shots.

Olive is only about 50% protected from deadly puppy diseases according to this study:

In one study of a cross section of different puppies the age at which they were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age, 25% of the puppies could be immunized. At 9 weeks of age, 40% of the puppies were able to respond to the vaccine. The number increased to 60% by 16 weeks, and by 18 weeks of age, 95% of the puppies could be immunized.

Parvovirus: Serious Diarrhea in Puppies & Dogs

Yorkie puppies should stay with their mom and littermates until they are 12 weeks old, not go to Petsmart for classes. You shouldn't start puppy classes until puppies have had all their shots plus two weeks for full immunity, usually around 18-20 weeks.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!