View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Xpen is great...so is a small room, like the bathroom. The point is to let them see they cannot participate in family things if their behavior is inappropriate.

In Matty's case, I used a crate because I could pick it up and corner him.. hahah he was rough! I used the words "kennel up" every time. In time he learned to go to the crate on his own when I said those words....and honestly he did not view it as punishment. It really is NOT punishment..it is discipline. I have four open crates in my home that pups can go in IF they choose...some do like having a spot like that. Matty goes in one readily whenever he wants to get away, so I think he learned it was a safe place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccosmommy View Post
I agree his crate should not be used for punishment. My theory is a 'timeout', much like you would apply to a toddler. He is safe while he is also gaining control of himself (actually, he usually calms instantly). I'm hoping to give him the message of "we don't like to play / socialize with your when you behave this way", rather than a "Bad Boy!" punishment. He is quietly and GENTLY place in his crate, only for about 1-2 minutes, so he gets the message. I do hope you're right though, and this 'stage' of his can be stopped, or I'll be heartbroken that my little guy was taken away from his mommy too soon.
I agree with you both. It isn't punishment, but discipline. Ladyjane, you got me laughing about your doggie!

They get past this stage fairly quickly, though. Maybe it is like the terrible 3's.

I thought of something I wanted to add. To me, it's like they just get more excited and more excited until they are out of control and a time-out or whatever breaks that cycle. It's like they have tunnel-vision and see nothing else.

Last edited by yorkieusa; 03-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
yorkieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!