View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

While I agree that you need to establish yourself as the pack leader, I do not believe in doing that with an alpha roll. I have handled many yorkies with biting issues and have never resorted to such a technique. This, in my opinion, is a sure fire way to make a pup fear you rather than respect you. I am not an expert on wolves, but I do think that this is probably not something a momma wolf does to her puppies. Matter of fact, here is another interesting thing I just found on wikipedia (I am not a total believer in Wikipedia, but this article is interesting):
Alpha roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many articles on the web that you can google, but here are a couple for you to read:

Behavior: Understanding and Modifying

Dealing with Dominant and Aggressive Dogs

I am a firm believer in time outs and being "very" consistent. As soon as he exhibits this behavior he needs to be put in a crate and left there for a few minutes. Let him out and IF he immediately starts up, do it again. You must do this every single time and it needs to be immediate.

The fact that he does it only with you and your family is interesting. He must have gotten a message somehow that this is acceptable....time to let him know that to be a part of the family it is not acceptable and he will be away from his family if he does it!

Good luck! This needs to stop now for sure! If you cannot manage by yourself, I suggest finding a good behaviorist...not a trainer!
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!