View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
kjcmsw
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay-Bay View Post
For the past two months, when I give Bailey her heartworm pill, it's not long afterwards that she gets sick and vomits. She only weighs 3 pounds, so I wonder if it is just too strong for her little system, even though it's for small dogs. Any thoughts?? Thanks
Are there a lot of mosquitoes where you live and does Bailey spend a lot of time outdoors unsupervised when the mosquitoes are active? Is heartworm prevalent in your area? I'm only asking because I've never known anyone who ever used that stuff, but it is a poison (of sorts) anything that kills a hearty parasite like a heartworm is strong stuff - certainly strong enough to make a 3 pound creature sick. I would weigh the chances of Bailey actually getting heartworm to possibly harming her with the "cure"
What does your vet say --- or the person who doesn't sell you the stuff? If you buy it from your vet, that's not the one to ask...product sales contributes heavily to their bottom line.
I'd look at it like: It's like giving them the rabies shot...short of living deep in the sticks where small animals are abundant and the dog runs wild outside, the chances of a person's dog getting rabies is pretty much nil...but you do it so on the off chance your dog bites someone it protects that person, your dog having to be quarantined, associated costs, border crossings, etc., not to mention it gets them into the groomers - so I'd find out how many documented cases of heartworm has been in your area if none to few I wouldn't keep giving her something that's showing a connection to making her sick especially when there's no unrelated benefit like the rabies shot.
Just some thoughts. ~Kendra
kjcmsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!