Thread: therapy dog
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
gaiasdaughter00
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat View Post
A therapy dog and a service dog are 2 different things. A therapy dog is trained to go and visit hospitals , nursing homes , and is certified to do so.
A service dog is trained to perform special tasks for the disabled individal . the animal can be any size ... Sometimes other species of animals have been used for a service animal.
The aniaml can be trained by a professional , or can be trained by it's owner. A DR. writes a letter stating that a service animal would be helpful to the diasbled person.
I have only seen serious cases of disabled individuals who have a service dog. However, their are all kinds of disabilities out there. Dogs are amazing service dogs.
I have 2 of them .... it is a good idea to have the basic training down with your dog. That would be the first step .
i meant service dog sorry! she woudl be therapy for me lol thats why i was typing therapy. I have done some online research and there is a website that you pay $250 and you get all the stuff (cert., id, vest) and you can take them everywhere seems a little too easy to me. i also found a site called deltasociety.org that one was MUCH more helpful. even found a local company that does the training and what not. will be calling them shortly to find out more info from them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!