View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #15
TecoyaB
Yorkie Yakker

Default little help

potty training...
I wasn't thrilled about crate training, but i've heard that it is very effective. What i did was let Castor Pollux pee-- I'd clean it up but pay attention to where it happens. put a pee pad there. Dab some pee on the pad. So your pup will be going in his favorite spot AND he'll be inticed by the urine smell.

Name...
The younger the dog the more repititions this will take. I sat Castor Pollux on the couch with me and said his name. Because I was saying something he looked at me. So when I said Castor Pollux and he looked I quickly gave him a treat. I'd go further away and say Castor Pollux, he came-- he got a treat. Then I mixed it up I'd say Fido, Spot (other random doggy names) and when he ignored them I gave him a treat. Thats how he learned his name.

biting...
Remember that your dog has been with his litermates and thats how they play. He'll learn not to... if not everytime he bites let out a high pitched yelp. When littler mates play the only way they know the other dog is hurting and to stop is the high pitched screamy yelp thing. (that high pitched yelp will also make your dog drop whatever is in his mouth, that yelp is dog speak for ouch and they immediately stop/drop whatever)

having a puppy especially a yorkie is like having a kid that is recklessly independent and very needy at the same time
but your dog's behavior WILL improve as he learns, theres a lot of stuff he'll pick up on his own.
TecoyaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!