View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Patti
Donating YT 30K Club Member

Default Recent rehome/rescue not eating

I recently (4 weeks ago) took in a 13-15 year old Yorkie, Nikki. His owner lived in the same senior apartments my Dad did and I became friendly with her and helped her with her Yorkie. She had a stroke 2/13 and I took Nikki in. I have known him for 9 months so he was familiar with me. His owner rescued him 2 1.2 years ago so no prior history is known on him. He has never been a great eater but the first 3 weeks I had him he would eat enough for me to feel comfortable with. Then last Saturday I took him to the nursing home to see his owner and he threw up on the way home and he won't eat. I took him to my vet and they ran blood work, did a stool sample and checked him out and couldn't find anything wrong except for some indication from the fecal test that his tummy was upset. So they gave him a shot, Albon for 5 days and something to coat his tummy and he still won't eat the dog food. I tried 3 types of canned food (he has no teeth)and finally got him to eat a little Wellness 95% lamb mixed with some american cheese. I think his owner was feeding him whatever she was eating and I really don't want to stat that but he has gone from 6.4 lbs in November to 5.7 lbs yesterday and I need for him to eat. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give the background on him. Any suggestions on what I can do to get him eating. I may try mixing some chicken with dog food but I really don't want him to get use to people food. The other thing that happened this week was my 90 year old father was in the hospital and now a nursing home and I have been gone so much and Nikki had become so attached to me that I wonder if this is also contributing to his not eating. Thanks
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!