View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
yorkielady06
YT 500 Club Member

Default Spaying and Neutering prior to placing puppies....

I also follow what my veterinarians recommend. I use 3 different veterinarians in my area....one is my regular vet that I have known and used for 10 years now, the second one I had used for 9 years prior and now goes to local vet offices in his retirement to fill in for other vets 1-2 days a week, and the third was where I did my internship as a Vet Tech in the late 80s. I checked with all 3 of these vets and all of them told me that as long as a pup is 10-12 weeks and over 1.5 pounds that spaying and neutering for breeders is an excellent option.
I checked into this for 2 reasons. First I screen new puppy owners heavily.
1. Where do you live? Apt or house? Own? Proof? If apt, landlords written permission.
2. Where do you work? Average income? How long?
3. Veterinarian used? Last time? Other pets?
4. Fenced in yard?
5. Kids? Under 12?
6. One personal reference?
7. Why a Yorkie? Any experience with small dogs? Willing to learn?
I spend lots of time on the phone, then in person with each perspective owner prior to placing a pup. My pups were placed with spay/neuter contracts and on limited AKC registration. I placed a small girl with a wonderful couple, owned their own home and business. They had a 17 year old daughter and I met her also. Vet reference was a vet from out of state as they had moved to this state 2 years prior. They owned a peke and had a great reference with the vet. Personal reference was their neighbor and it was glowing. Sounds like a great home right?? I happen to find an add in a local magazine here for pups without papers and the phone number looked familiar. Sure as heck it was that couple. When asked they said it was another dog, yet the pic of the momma looked alot like my male. So how would you deal with that? She denies that that was the mom, refused to even talk to me after, etc. That little girl charted to be 3 pounds full grown!!! This lady was advertising these pups as TEACUPS...
So I do have all my pups spayed or neutered prior to leaving my home. I know they will not be bred. According to my longest vet who also works for the humane society, there is plenty of research out there that proves that it is not harmful to spay or neuter even at 8 weeks. Humane societies do it all around the USA with no problems and have for years.
Are there other breeders out there that also do this?
yorkielady06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!