View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Cerise
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyanna View Post
Lily like so many small dogs is an extremely picky eater. I decided since she won't eat any kibble. I have tried tons of premium dog foods (she goes a couple days on a few nibbles and no people scraps. (not anymore anyway) I have her on Royal Canin now for Yorkies (supposed to stimulate fussy appetites the bag says) I went to the pet store intending to buy the best canned food or make my own food her which I did for a couple days and she does happen to like it. I even like it. Haha but don't want to do that. Long post but the dog trainer at the store told me canned food and home made are like crack to dogs. Once they are hooked nothing else will do. She said put the kibble down, leave it for half and hour and pick it up. Continue to do this for all meals until the little bugger eats it. She promises a dog won't starve to death with food avail. Lily is vomiting up a bit of bile due to an empty stomach and has eaten her new food once in two days.(approx 1/4 cup) Am I doing the right thing? I can barely handle watching my baby thinking she is hungry. The trainer also said it is much more difficult with small dogs due to the fact that they are cute and we become their pets instead of the other way around. She did say I am a good pet.(not a compliment I don't think)

Be careful when it comes to advice from people who think all dogs are the same. Making her eat what you put down or else don't eat is not the way to handle a Yorkie. Warning, that is dangerous. I have come to realize most people don't know crap about what it takes to care for a Yorkie, unless they are true Yorkie lovers. That includes some dog trainers and vets. All dogs are not alike.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!