View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandracz View Post
Thank you for the advice... As far as quarantineing (sp) the foster how can you be sure they are safe? Is it that you take it to a vet and then you are sure? I could never ever risk Bailey's heath!
If I cam across a dog with what appeared to be a serious problem I would never bring him home before going to the vet. What I've dealt with mostly is worms, fleas, coccidia, and giardia, none of which are usually life threatening, but I still don't want anyone else here to get sick. Being kept in a separate bedroom I'm able to observe for any illness, keep their area disinfected, and make certain their illness is treated before introducing them into the rest of the house.

I still take a chance with each foster, but I do try to be as careful as one can be. I don't wear my "rescue" shoes into the house, I always change clothes before handling my dogs after I've picked up a rescue. And, I'm always washing hands after petting the rescues.

As I mentioned, we've been lucky and had only one case of kennel cough brought in and only one of my dogs caught it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!