View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
chandracz
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member

Thank you for the advice... As far as quarantineing (sp) the foster how can you be sure they are safe? Is it that you take it to a vet and then you are sure? I could never ever risk Bailey's heath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencar98 View Post
Bonny gave you a good answer about how to become involved. I can tell you how I introduce a foster into our home. First off, a foster is always quarantined in a separate bedroom contained in an ex-pen, for several days. I have to do this, bc of past experience and having my kids getting sick from a foster.....I can't risk my dogs health. The only times I haven't quarantined is when I've been 100% certain the foster dog is completely healthy.

After the quarantine period, depending upon the foster dog, I do different things. If it's a dog within the same size range as mine (5-6lbs) and their temperament seems sociable, I'll let them be with my dogs. If they are larger, or seem frightened or even a little aggressive, I'll keep them in an ex-pen in the living room for a couple of days. This way, the foster gets used to us and daily life here in small increments. I'll observe their behavior towards my dogs and cat and proceed from there. I've never had one stay in the ex-pen more than a week....we've been very fortunate!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!