View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
addevo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi76557 View Post
All of these are wonderful ideas. my fiance says that he thinks its cruel to crate him so he wont let me. I left him in a crate just one day and he had pooped and peed all in it and had got in all over him plus he had cried til he had no voice. So my fiance has said that WE ARE NOT crating him. lol As for pee pee pads I'd love that but again my fiance said that we arent teaching to potty in the house period even if it is on a pad. So he said he learns to go outside or he stays outside. so I've kept him in the room with me at all times and I take him out on his leash every hour. He hasn't had any accients in 4 days now but I am so worried about when I wont be here. My fiance says I can't leave him in the room because he cries and bothers his brother.

You and Max are in a tough situation, here. It sounds like your fiance hasn't really bonded with Max, and that his expectations of him are totally unrealistic. Has he ever successfully house trained a toy dog? Terriers are tough little customers sometimes, totally unlike other breeds.

If you want to learn how to train Max, PLEASE listen to the folks on this board who have actually been successful. They know what they are talking about. Crates are not cruel unless they are used to excess and the dog is confined all of the time. Crate training takes advantage of a dog's natural instinct not to soil the area where they sleep, and are only a temporary tool until the dog recognizes that the whole house is their den. Try the crate again, but for a very short period of time, say 1 hour, then take Max outside. Don't start out crate training him by leaving him in there all day. He won't understand that he only needs to hold it for awhile, and will go ahead and relieve himself in the crate because he doesn't know that you'll be back soon to let him out.

This is going to sound a harsh, but if you can't get Max trained before you have to start leaving him during the day, then you should seriously consider surrendering him to a reliable rescue. They will find him someone who will either tolerate his accidents or will use one of the tried and true methods to get him trained. Otherwise, Max is going to be a constant source of friction in your relationship with your fiance and with other members of your household (the brother) and you and Max will both be miserable. I know you are devoted to Max and are cringing at my suggestion, but you have to be realistic about the situation. Tossing a tiny dog outside to live permanently because of an owner's ineffective approach to house training is inhumane, and I know you love Max much too much to ever be cruel to him. Tiny dogs do not have enough body mass to tolerate extremes in either hot or cold weather, their coats are thin and get matted easily when they are not groomed regularly. They can escape through fences, their necks are too fragile to tolerate being tethered, and they are too small to defend themselves from any neighborhood dog (or even cat) who wanders into their yard if they are left outside unattended. You got Max to be your companion, and that is what he wants to be, too. He would die of a broken heart if he was left outside all day by himself. (Just remember how he lost his voice after a day in the crate.) Which reminds me, then you may end up with your neighbors complaining about his barking and whining, just like your fiance's brother already does.

Then you can look for a dog that is already house trained, there are lots of them at your local shelter or on Petfinder.com.
addevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!