View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
skellington
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Help! I don't know what to do!

Last night around 10:30pm Riot (1 year, 3 months, 4.7lbs) started acting very strange. He seemed just out of it and almost tired but wouldn't lay down. He was also shaking a lot like he does when he gets scared, like at bath time.

He had a hypoglycemia attack back in November, and this seemed different. We also did a few tests the vet showed us to check and see if it's possible hypoglycemia and he reacted normally. We did give him some nutri-cal and had him drink water, but he seemed to get worse.

About 11pm, his temperature was 104.3, so we called the vet and got transfered to the vet on call. After some questions, he had us give him 1/4 of a baby aspirin to the fever and said to call if there was any diarrhea. He cuddled with me on the couch until bedtime.

3:30am, I woke up to him throwing up, a huge pile of stuff but on inspection noting seemed out of sorts. Then about 15 minutes later, he threw up again, but nothing looked like it could be anything but food. Took his temp again and it was 100.7, normal. We gave him some more nutri-cal and syringe-fed him some water and went to bed.

5:30am, boyfriend woke me up saying he was throwing up again. He did twice, mostly liquid, gooey yellowish, and I called the vet right away and he said to bring him in. He didn't have a temp, heartbeat and breathing were fine, just seemed scared to be there. He gave him a shot to help with nausea/vomiting and some pills to give if his temperature went up (so far it hasn't). He said he thinks it might just be a little bug he picked up but unless he has diarrhea or gets worse, there's no alarm for something serious. He said to keep him hydrated and keep up with the nutrical and make him eat, again call if he gets worse and let him know in the morning how he's doing.

We got some canned food and ate a few bites but he won't eat any more, canned, dry or mixed, so we've fed him some through a syringe. He's been drinking on his own, pooped once (no diarrhea) but hasn't peed since we got home from the vet. He seems so not himself. The shaking has stopped but he seems so out of it. He will respond and follow your finger and all of that, but just seems so tired and weak but he won't fully lay down to sleep. He keeps going back and forth between my lap, my boyfriends, and wanting to lay by himself in his bed. For about 10 minutes he was playing with us with a toy, which he brought up to us, then went back to being weird again.

Any ideas? What can we do? Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to get all the details out there! We're scared and don't want to over react but it's hard with these little guys! I can call the vet again, but as he said before, he expected it was just a little bug and unless there's something else that goes wrong or he gets worse, there's not a ton he can do right now. THANK YOU for any help!

Last edited by skellington; 03-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.
skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!