View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

The bath is a scary experience, and sometimes we forget to do a few things that make them feel safe. It's not about them being safe, it's about them "feeling" safe, and some dogs need more help to feel safe. I give Joey a bath in the kitchen, and I put lots of towels on the counter, so it feels padded to him and not cold, like a doctors table. I use a rubber dish pan in the sink as his tub, so that he doesn't feel like he's slipping all over the place. I test the water with the inside of my arm and it's better to error on the cool side, dogs and puppies, especially, cannot tolerate hot water, they may not signal to you that it is too hot, so you have to test for this. I heat a towel for Joey so that after his bath, he's wrapped head to toe in a warm towel, and he loves this part, he could lie there 30 minutes if I'd let him. I blow-dry him with a quiet blow dryer because the little guy gets chilled easily, even here in AZ. When he was a puppy, he would get a Cheerio throughout the process, and this helped him learn to tolerate it. I think it's better to go slow at first, and get them to "feel" safe, and later you can do a more through job of washing and grooming. I'm not sure she will outgrow this without your help, you're attitude is important too, you need to be firm without be coddling, or aggressive, this too will make her feel safe. That said, Joey still runs when he sees me getting out the bath stuff!

Join today and remove this ad!