View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
It's not just Banfield that pushes all the "non core" vaccines. Our former vet and I disagreed over Lepto - their practice administers the vaccine to a large volume of small dogs every year and they claim they do not see problems. I still refused to give it. Barney and Daisy both had it only one time without incident but nevertheless I stopped after only one shot due to my own concerns about overvaccinating. The practice I just left also pushes this new periodontal vaccine that isn't even proven to work. They push Lyme, all the noncore vaccines. They also pump the little dogs up with multiple vaccines in one visit.

The new push I was experiencing is this periodontal vaccine, and even though the manufacturer does not know if it works, the vets wanted me to do it. I kept reminding them that my dog Barney has never needed a dental due to home care of his teeth so why would I vaccinate my new pup with this? It was counter-intuitive!

My new vet is completely different - they make a case-by-case determination about whether a dog needs any particular vaccine. They even split up vaccines now for BIG DOGS.

As for pre-med, I have been advised by my former vet as well as my new vet that it is not necessary or advisable unless you have had a reaction. We have not needed a pre med so far.

To the OP - do yourself a favor and find a vet that is GREAT. Don't put up with mediocrity. I've been there and done that and at the end of the day, you end up leaving anyway. Good luck and I'm sorry your baby was under the weather and I hope things are looking better now!
you are correct the dental vaccine i would NEVER give to my dog

just an fyi my dd has not been vaccinated for parvo distemper since she was 6 mos old she has been titered yearly and a plumber came in my house a few weeks ago and i did a thread and his puppy was in the hospital with parvo so obviously he brought it to our home on his shoes a great possibility and dd is on steroids an immune suppressant drug - i was very nervous but surpising to me is the vets we deal with , specialty hospital all said all would be ok as my dogs are almost 6 and have had the vaccination prior - now my thought is why telling me that are they still vaccinating dogs every 3 years or some yearly - VERY INTERESTING HUH
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!