View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
RitaNBoobear
Yorkie Yakker

Default in there lies the rub....

I'm willing to train w/her and we do a lot of trainign - she is very smart. Is it too late --? Have i ruined our chances by NOT c-trainign eraly on? letting her pee at will? (used to be indoors or outdoors, few misses). I guess what i'm wondering is IF (and this has always been my understanding) crate training is used by most to teach them to hold it until it’s time to go outside, can it also be used to teach them timing to go inside too? to pad? For example: we have no yard that is fenced in, so for her - outdoors is always a "walk". And no yard at office - she seems to love coming to work with us. BUT she hates the rain. So both at home & office, we can’t just open a door, to backyard or deck even, to let her out and quickly in. (We will when we move but not for another 9 months at least).

On days when it is freezing or raining hard AND after a year of, basically allowing her to pee when she had to go (‘cause she used pad successfully) IF I tried – Could I use the crate train method now? AND is it impossible to create a way that she can let me know she has to go. Regardless of where it might end up being? EVEN IF, it is go-on-a-pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekie's mom View Post
You could try teaching her to use a tap bell (like bell hops use) when she has to go out. You could buy more than one and put where convenient. Each time before you take her out. take her paw and have her make the bell ring. Then say outside potty. It does not take then long to catch on. Also, you might try giving treats every time she goes potty outside. You need to give the treats immediately after she goes and tell her what a good girl she is. You can get tap bells at Staples and such.

Last edited by RitaNBoobear; 03-07-2010 at 02:51 AM.
RitaNBoobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!