View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Lady Amethyst
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019 It's not an easy job but.....

When we first adopted my Neko last year from the humane society, he was already potty trained to go outside, but just needed time to get use to his new home and the rules that went along with it. He had to learn which door he'd be using to get outside, etc. Some don't agree, but I do beleive that the create training works well! I kept Neko in the crate when we weren't playing with him during the day and only took him out every 2 hours to use the potty and also 15 minutes or so after each meal. I took him to my back door telling him, "outside potty" everytime. When he finally went potty, I gave him lots of praise and then a treat. Doing this for about a week or so, just kinda rubbed off the way I'd hoped. Then I went to the crafts store and purchase a thick string and a bell. This hangs from the door knob on the back door so that when Neko goes to the back door to jump on it, we'd hear the bell and run to take him out. Each time I tell him "good doggie ring the bell, outside potty". So now when ever he's just sitting alone, I can say "ring the bell, outside potty" and he goes running outside to potty. It took time and consistancy not to mention a great deal of patience, but he learned! I am also a firm beleiver that no dog is perfect just as we aren't, they will still have accidents from time to time. Just try to find something that works for you and your baby, then remember to give lots of "praise and treats" and to also be "consistant!!" Good Luck
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!