View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #11
yorkieagility
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee
To get Tia to learn fetch. I had a pocket of cheerios with me (her favorite treat.)

I decided to start with her favorite toy (a fleece lion). I would throw it a little way, say "Go get it" and when she would go to it, I would give her a treat and use her "good" word which is "YAY!".

I kept throwing it a little farther, and she would eventually keep going to the toy. Next, I would show her the treat in my hand and tell her to "bring it back". She would come for the treat, and I would bring the toy over, show it to her, then throw it again. After a couple of times, she got the idea that bringing the toy BACK was good! Now she plays fetch with no treats at all, she loves it - it's one of her favorite games.
When I started to teach my puppies to fetch. I did almost the same thing as aimee. I got there favorite toy, got them excited about it by tugging on it and then throw it and say"Get it". And when they bring it back I would start tugging and playing again or reward them with treats. However, one of my dogs was so focus on the treats that I couldn't get her excited about fetching. In her case, we just play tug or I may have 2 of the same toy and play swap toy.

By the way, did you know there are mini size tennis ball available that is the right size for yorkies. Walmart will carry it sometimes as well as some petstore.

As for fetching in obedience. It is a little bit different than regular fetching. It is not hard to teach, if your dog already know how to fetch. But just chasing after the ball/toy and dropping at your feet will not cut it in obedience.

tips: Find a special toy/ball that the dog like and only bring it out when you are playing fetch. Start throwing at a very short distance and increase distance as you puppy is more comfortable bring it back.

Good luck and let me know how it works out.
yorkieagility is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!