View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
trin7
YT 500 Club Member

I agree completely with the ones who say to have someone else take over the caregiving for a while. Darwin is our first little dog I've ever owned and unfortunately for him, but fortunately for us, he is not overly spoiled. We had the honour of having an awesome Doberman named Josie for 13 1/2 years and we now have an 19 month 3/4 Great Pyrenees. We also are planning our first trip away from him, also in May. I am his main caregiver but he is left on his own, once in a while. I also don't work out of the house but when I leave he whines for a few minutes then he gets busy with his toys. Let other people take on some responsibility - life is meant to be enjoyed and if a dog stops you from going places you will be missing out on many things.

I'd suggest just leaving for 20 minutes or so a few times a week. Give your pup time to adjust. It sounds like she has a very loving home. I treat Darwin like a large dog and he has rules to follow. He's not allowed to be yappy; warnings are fine but he can't carry on, he has to sit after walks, etc. We love him in our home; he may not be perfect but he suits are life perfectly and fits in with us, not the other way. I feel very different then a lot of people who own smaller dogs but he is exactly what we want. Dogs, no matter what age or size are very trainable. Have fun with her and I hope you get things figured out soon so you can enjoy your trip!
trin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!