View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
jenn1381
YT Addict

Default They just don't get it! Need to vent to those that do...

Some of you are aware that I am on the hunt for my second Yorkie from other threads... well, I may have found him. He's 6.5 pounds at 6 months old, might get a bit bigger - if not, that's ok. His breeder is awesome, just got off the phone with her. She only breeds a few litters a week, once kept a female pup until she was 5 months old as she was too small to leave mom, knew all the conditions that Yorkie's have, does genetic testing before she breeds and has never had a liver shunt baby or a luxating patella. This dog is for sale for $1100, already discounted $1500. She is selling him because he has gotten too large to breed with her females.

My family has been all for me getting a 2nd dog, has helped me look, and come with me to look at possible new family members. Until I said I was going to get a Yorkie, full blood, reputable breeder, and that it would cost. Now that they know I am planning to spend $1100 they are freaking out. I am getting calls from my brother saying that "seems like too much, you're an idiot to spend $1100 on a DOG. It's just a dog!" He says I am getting ripped off. I was able to come to this site and prove to him that I am NOT and that most Yorkie's are in fact MORE, but he still doesn't get it. He searches the internet and finds them for $200-$300 and thinks that should be good. He doesn't understand the difference between a puppy mill and a breeder.

My mother won't even talk to me now, even though she was the one who WANTED me to do this from the first place. My dad is still ok, and is going to make the 4 hour each way trip with me on Sat. if I decide it's a go. I am SO tired of being called stupid for spending money the way I want to! Yes, I am willing to spend a grand on a well bred, well socialized, happy pure bred dog. I spent $350 for Oliver, and while he is the love of my life, he is hard work! Skittish, scared of men, untrusting, the list goes on and on. I said to my brother that people are different, I will spend a grand on a dog, but I would NOT have spent 3 grand on a snowmobile like he did. We all spend money on things we enjoy. A snowmobile will never love you like a Yorkie will.

Someone please tell me I am not insane. Someone please tell me they get it! Yes, it's a lot of $ when I should be spending it on things like a car, my loan, etc. But Oliver is miserable without another dog, and when I adopted him I made him a promise to do whatever it took to make him happy. This dog will make me happy, too!

The picture is of the little guy that I truly hope will soon be mine...
Attached Thumbnails
They just don't get it!  Need to vent to those that do...-yorkie.jpg  

Last edited by jenn1381; 03-01-2010 at 04:19 PM.
jenn1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!