View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
UtahBelle
Yorkie Talker

Confused What have I created??

We have had our yorkie for a little over a year now. Before we bought her I really didn't research this particular breed. I just thought they were cute. We brought her home at 12 weeks like you are supposed to. She did whine and miss her litter mates so we gave her extra love and attention .
She pretty much picked me out of the family to cling to. I was her primary care-giver as my children are in school all day and I don't work outside the home. Now, i have this constant shadow ALL THE TIME! All she cares about is me and has to be next to me. When I leave to run errands she sits at the window and waits for me. My kids said she will not do ANYTHING but sit and wait for me.
I had to take me daughter out of town for a competition and my yorkie stopped eating and threw up yellow bile for two days. My husband finally got her to eat, but said she was completely depressed the whole 4 days I was gone. She started acting normal the minute I returned. The reason my whole family did not go is because we have no one to babysit her and just look how she acted when half of my family was STILL home with her! How could we expect a dog-sitter to deal with that? The problem is we really want a family vacation at the begining of May. I am sick of always splitting up to do things because of the dog! My Mom does not really like dogs, but said she would watch her for us at her house. She will just have to stay outside a lot because my Mom does not have a doggy door. My yorkie is trained to go outside and I have never introduced potty-pads. She never spends time outside except to potty, then runs right back in. I get the feeling she does not know she is a dog She thinks she is my baby and does not need to do normal dog things.
I know this is getting long, I just wish I had not spoiled her so much. Part of me wants to just leave her and make her get used to it, but I have heard that this breed never really does. Is it normal for them to attach themselves so heavily to one person? I really don't want to make her so sick again, but at the same time, she drives me crazy! I should not have to expect my mom to deal with her carrying on like she did and cleaning up her vomit and trying to get her to eat!
My sister told me that we should not have got a dog in the first place because we are busy people who are always here and there, but somehow it has always worked out that we could have her with us. I guess this is what I get? I just don't understand because we had dogs growing up and they just lived in a doghouse in the backyard. We left them all the time to vacation and they were always happy dogs! We never had problems with them! I guess I just picked the wrong breed? Is my yorkie normal? Is it too late to change her? Should I just quit complaining and just live how we have been? Thanks for any advice you could give me!!
UtahBelle

UtahBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!