View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
xxmxaxrxyxx
Missing Yoshi Everyday!
Donating Member

Default [News] Rescued Dog Saves Life of Owner

Rescued Dog Saves Life of Owner - KFSM

A Benton County family saves the life of an abused puppy, and now the Siberian husky is giving back in a surprising way: by saving the life of their little girl.

When Aaron and Erin Halvorson rescued Bella from abuse seven years ago, local vets gave a grim report. Erin remembers the bad news. "She said, 'I don't know you guys, she may have maybe six weeks at the most, to live.'"

But the Halvorsons wouldn't give up, and with much intense treatment and lots of love, Bella pulled through.

Dr. Lynn Life is one of Bella's veterinarians, and the owner of New Hope Animal Hospital. Life says, "when she had all her multiple surgeries, I just thought the best of the family, and thought they were heroes, and it turns out that Bella is the hero, so that's pretty cool."

Erin Halvorson something else that is "cool" is the incredible connection between their daughter, and their dog. "From day one, when we brought Ella home from the hospital, the two of them had a connection."

But Erin and Aaron say they never dreamed that connection would save Ella's life. "Right before her second birthday she was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. It's scary to keep her regulated on a daily basis."

But, they say Bella can sense when Ella's blood sugar drops to dangerous levels, and alerts them. Erin Halvorson says, "Even yesterday. I'm like, why is she bothering me? Why is she bugging me?" Aaron chimes in: "Bella went to our bedroom door and then turned around and whined and howled at us. [We] got into Ella's room and [Bella] was poking Ella with her snout, and whining to us." Erin continues: "And she's got a 60 blood sugar, which is low. I mean, it was low! And I'm like, I need to pay attention to Bella! She KNOWS it. She's my little security blanket."

Aaron says, with how much he has to travel for work, it puts his mind at ease. "We have one more set of eyes taking care of our little girl. We don't understand it, but it doesn't matter. It's just so cool to watch the interaction, and to know that Bella's just in tune at a different level with our daughter."

They may not know how it happens, but they say Bella's ability to sense when Ella isn't feeling well is keeping Ella alive, and they say that is all that matters.

Because of what Bella is able to do for the Halvorsons, the Arkansas Veterinary Medical Association has named her "Pet of the Year."
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!