View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Luvhcky
Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 036 Puppy Mills/Homeward Bound-Michigan

Hi, this is the first time I have ever posted anything so please bear with me. I, like most of you have a wonderful fur baby named Grady. He is wonderful; I also have 2 other dogs that are great too. After adopting my fur baby Grady I became aware of Puppy Mills. I read alot about them and they made me almost physically sick. I would hold my Grady at night and think about all those poor dogs stuck in a life of nothing but breeding.

I joined an organization called Homeward Bound Rescue League here in Canton Michigan. This was the best thing I ever did. Homeward Bound Rescue League is a non-profit, no-kill animal rescue organization dedicated to finding happy healthy homes for our beloved rescued dogs and cats. We rescue dogs and cats from puppy mills, and neglectful and abusive situations we also rescue strays and owner surrenders. We rescue, foster, and find permanent homes for our rescued friends. The fact that we are a no-kill organization and we take all breeds sets us apart from other rescue leagues and shelters. We started our rescue organization over two years ago and are very proud to say that within that time we have placed over 600 dogs and cats into safe and happy homes. I am foster mom. My first foster was a 9 year old yorkie female. Her life consisted of having puppies. Most puppy mill females do not live that long. When I picked her up and brought her home it never dawned on me that she had never walked on carpet, been outside to play, seen TV, slept on something soft, had fresh food and water, or been held and petted. This was all strange to her. It took 2 days just to get her to let me pick her up. I took her to the vet and had all her shots, her teeth cleaned (5 of which had to be pulled), her nails trimmed, and fixed. I had her for about 2 weeks and yesterday she went to her new forever home. A wonderful retired couple adopted her. We do open adoptions on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month at Pet Supplies Plus on Ford Rd in Canton Michigan.

I know times are tough out there; my husband and I are both laid off. But tonight as you hold your fur babies think of all the dogs that do not have that luxury. They live in cages and stand on mesh floors, there is not heat or lights, no one to love and hold them. They have food thrown at them and if they are lucky fresh water. They are normally housed in barns or buildings stacked five high. They never get to run around and play. They just stud or have babies. This is not life. I know we can not shut down the puppy mills, but for the ones that are lucky enough to be rescued we can open our hearts and homes to them. If you have some time consider being a foster parent. Homeward Bound provides everything, food, blankets, crates, play pens, collars, and they cover all medical costs. All you have to do is provide the love and security that these babies need. If you can't be a foster there is so much you can do, for example if you are a dog groomer, you could donate your services so we foster parents can have our fosters looking there best on adoption day. If you are a business owner you can make a financial donation (which is tax deductable). We also are in need of blankets, premium dog food canned and dry, crates, carriers, newspaper and toys. Also on the day of adoptions we can also use extra hands with dog walking, handing out applications, and answering any questions. If you are still unsure come to one of our adoptions and see what we do and talk to us. You will see that we all love what we are doing. If you would like to see some of the dogs and cats that we have visit Petfinder.com and go to "Find Animal Welfare Groups" and type in Homeward Bound Canton Michigan. I would love to have all my friends on Yorkietalk.com that live in Michigan in the Detroit area join me in this wonderful experience. If you only have room for 1 dog, puppy or an adult, that is one more that has a chance at a good life. Give it some thought. If you have questions please feel free to email me at: Homewardboundtrs@aol.com. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Teri
Luvhcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!