View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson28 View Post
Hi all,

Having a Yorkie, I know how much this breed is predisposed to having liver shunts. In order to be a good Mommy, I decided to take my little guy for a BAT. He is 10 months. He came home from the BAT without a problem - he threw up once that evening. I kinda expected this because he was given that food they give for BAT tests - super fatty and high protein food.

Sparky seemed sleepy Wednesday night, but he had a long day at the Vet, so we didn't suspect anything.

They also gave him an X-ray because I was concerned about a hack-cough he has and thought collapsing trachea may be an issue.

His X-ray showed a bit of a small opening towards his chest, but Vet said this is normal. His BAT tests were also almost normal.
Pre Bile - <1.0
Post - 25.8 (normal is between 5-20), so this is alittle high, but again, Vet said just feeding him a different food can cause a small increase like this.

So - good news, right? The BAT was normal, X-ray didn't show collapsing.

But - Thursday morning - he threw up at 5:00 am, then again at 5:30, 5:45, 6:00, until he hit about 6-7 times that morning. I had to go to work, but my husband stayed home and rushed him to the Vet. He's 10 pounds, so I was concerned he would be dehydrated if he kept throwing up.

He didn't throw up at the Vet after he got there - they gave him anti-nausea meds, pepcid and they sent him home around 2:00 PM. They suspected it was just a really bad reactino to the food.

Honestly - I don't believe this. Have you ever heard of a dog having such a horrible reaction to food? Also - he's totally out of it today - sleeping all day - kinda zombie-like, not playing. Before this BAT and X-ray, he was a wild crazy Yorkie - running all day, playing all day non-stop. He's just NOT himself....

Anyone have any ideas? The office is closed today due to the blizzard in NJ - I am trying to figure out what could have happened....could it have been the X-ray? I would love to hear if anyone else has ever dealt with anything like this after a BAT where the results of the BAT didn't show a liver problem....

Thanks all!! Keep little Sparky in your prayers....
Tania, Chewy & Sparky
sounds like they fed hill's L/D which is high in fat and not what your dog normally eats. When my dog had 3 bats they fed her - her normal diet not a different food so not sure why they would feed a dog on a 12 fast cold turkey a different diet not cool. I hope this is not pancreatitis as that is what my concern would be or just a reaction from a different diet but then they covered it up with anti-nausea meds - did they run a cpli or blood work to see why the vomitting and if something was off at all? Those bats are not an issue and if no symptoms you could feed a 22% protein diet and you do not need to feed a special diet with bats like that just stick to 22% protein.

the other thing is stress colitis when a dog gets really stressed which this can be stressful getting two blood draws in one day then the entire digestive tract can get inflamed and causing vomitting and diarrhea so resting the digestive tract for 12 hrs no food and sometimes just small amts of water will help. When you reintroduce food do it slowly and i soak kibble when mine have a bout like this to help them digest it

Last edited by dwerten; 02-26-2010 at 09:50 PM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!