View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 04:35 AM   #5
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug
Also remember to put as much emphasis on praising as you do on scolding.

Anytime your Yorkie does something right, praise him, praise him, praise him and give him a treat. Make sure you say "GOOD BOY!!" the second he does something right.

This seemed to work with Otis when he was having accidents. Now everytime he poops on the pee pad, he'll dash out to me to get rewarded.

Don't worry! Just be patient and your Yorkie will learn!
PRAISE is the key!! We started Toto out this way and this little girl is so anxious to hear it she is really and truly a "Good Girl"!! We hardly ever scold and when we have to we simply say "No" in a firm [not mean] voice and she knows we mean business! We have X-pens with the gate and if she doesn't immediately obey we simply, without a word, place her in her pen and lock her gate. We leave her there and ignore her for a little while and that's that!! The X-pen is great because it's so handy to quickly keep her safe, i.e. if someone comes to the door, or the maintenance man has to come in and we also put her there if we have to leave her home alone [which is not that often]. She runs there as fast as she can when she needs a "safe place", such as when she grabs some little "prize" that she isn't supposed to have!! Usually she doesn't get scolded for this because it is just so hysterically funny!! We do give her a not so firm "no" when we take the "prize" from her and she understands!! These are without a doubt the most intelligent little dogs I have ever seen!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!