View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodizt View Post

... This is why I am asking if there is a way to train them not to eat or play with things off of the floor. Any tips or tricks? Anybody struggle with this issue, given the information I have provided above?

Would love some ideas, tips or tricks, etc. to help keep Muffin safe.

I’m tired of being paranoid all the time everytime I see her sniffing something.

Thanks so much everyone for your time-

All answers welcome,

Shellie, Cassie, and Muffin
I would first confine her to an X-pen or a safe room when she is not under your direct supervision. Teaching her the 'Leave it' command may be helpful. Have a treat in each hand. Right hand treat on the floor in front of sitting dog say 'leave it' First times show her treat in left hand. Block her from getting treat on floor with your hand if you must. As soon as she hesitates and/or backs away, reward with 'good dog' and immediately give her treat from left hand (from your hand, not the floor). Key points to remember: Never give her the treat on the floor....remove it as you give her the treat from your left hand. Never switch hands once you have started training: always reward with treat from the same hand. When she 'gets it', gradually increase the amount of time between the desired response (not going for the treat on the floor) and the reward. For your specific situation, after she's good at working with leaving the treat, use other objects that you feel she would want to eat.

You may also find the 'drop it' or 'give' command useful in getting her to spit out whatever is in her mouth. Work with a toy (non food item) to begin with, and reward with a treat.

Confine her for her own safety until she can do these commands 100%, and when you can't supervise her. I'm assuming you've discussed this behavior with your vet. I've read where adding Probiotics with enzymes to her diet may be helpful in eliminating this behavior also.

Last edited by kjc; 02-26-2010 at 06:57 AM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!