View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Becca1
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDiana View Post
Even though most heartworm preventatives are very effective, there is not a 100% guarantee that your dog will not get heartworm. It's important to know because giving preventative to a heartworm positive dog can cause disasterous results.

Also, some owners may miss a dosage or two, thinking nothing of it (or not even notice), inadvertently making their dog vulnerable. I know this has been the case with me on several occasions. We are just lucky they dogs didn't contract it during the months I forgot.

Lastly, a lot of dogs will throw up the medicine after swallowing it or simply pretend to take it. This is probably not as likely but still a definite possibility.

The yearly recommendation comes from the fact that heartworm is a serious, dangerous and potentially fatal disease. Not to mention that treatment is extremely expensive and hard on the dog. A heartworm infection can cause serious damage to a dog's heart and can do so in a fairly short period of time. Why not do all that you can to prevent it? Especially when the test is easy, quick, and relatively inexpensive.
Thanks for the info - it is certainly worth getting tested yearly!!
Becca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!