View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
megooego
I ♥ my boys
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
Yes, I've heard this too. Good point. But, as far as I know Heartguard is the only preventative used in this type of treatment - the others could be very dangerous to pets. I'm not sure if Heartguard is only used in the treatment of dogs in the early stages of heartworm infestation, or if it is used at any point? Either way, I'd feel better if my vet & I both regularly knew for certain whether my babies had them or not.

I shouldn't have responded to the op as quickly as I did. I should have said that if you're not certain, please talk to your vet. This is very important as the risk of heartworms varies depending on where you live - some areas may be fine with testing only every other year, I don't know. Here in Oklahoma, heartworms are a big problem and I believe in testing every year.
You have a good point as well! I think you are right, only Heartgard is used for the treatment. The OP said she uses Interceptor, so it could be dangerous for her dog if she is giving the meds and they have heartworms.

Either way, to the OP- get the test, lol.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!