View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
HarleyHOO
YT Addict

I also recommend the heartbeat pillow...it worked wonders for my girl. BUT, like redvett said, what works for others may not work for all.

On a separate note ~ I do not think ignoring them when they cry is "mean." As long as you know that they're not hungry, thirsty or have to go potty, then let her cry. I know that this is hard because we want to comfort them. But, just like a baby, I think you learn to identify their crying. Do they really need you or is it "I want my way!" I sucessfully crate trained Harley and she has always done fine. Never makes a peep. But at first, she would whine and want out. I made a habit of putting her in there, which was right next to my bed, and then I would lay down and read a book beisde her. This way she knew I wasn't going anywhere JUST because I was crating her. And from time to time, she would start to whine or bark and I completely ignored it...seriously as if I didn't even here her. Then I would look at her and calmly say "you're fine." As soon as she was quiet for 12 seconds or longer, I would open the door and let her out. She quickly caught on that in order to get out and be with me, she had to remain quiet first.

It really depends on what you're willing to live with. You can go through it now and train her to be content on her own, or cave in and deal with a yapper for years to come. Either way, she'll be your baby and I completely understand wanting to make her happy. Just be consistent with whatever you choose and good luck. It DOES get better.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!