Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
MSPCA-Angell: Nutrition Team
Faculty of the College of Veterinary Medicine - Joseph J. Wakshlag
William R. Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
Faculty and Research : Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University

These are veterinary nutritionist who can (or should be able to) formulate a balanced recipe for you. Most recipes that you'd get online aren't going to meet AAFCO or NRC guidelines. And because you need a therapeutic diet, it's best to talk to a nutritionist anyway.

Although I vaguely remember Ladymom posting a recipe for diabetes before...
Actually, I homecook a liver diet for diabetic Lady since she has liver damage from ten years of seizure medications. She's a walking veterinary manual! Her diabetes is very well regulated on it, though.

As Crystal said, you need to consult a nutritionist for a recipe that is nutritionally complete. If the diet isn't balanced, it will do more harm than good.

I really urge to to homecook for your Yorkie. Lady is in her eighth year with diabetes and outlived all the others in her "class" on the canine diabetes forum who were diagnosed at the same time - by years! She is now 14 and going strong. I absolutely believe that if I had fed her prescription food for diabetics she would not still be around. I could never understand how anyone could feed an immune compromised dog the low quality ingredients in those foods.

Please pm me if you have any questions or just want to talk diabetes!
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!