View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
LilMissy
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieusa View Post
Trainers say that is the wrong thing to do. The reason why is that it reinforces their belief that they really do have something to be afraid of. The supposedly correct thing to do and I have done this in the past is that everytime they show fear - use the same phrase - like, "It's all right." You should go on and act like everything is fine. Repeatedly tell him that "It's all right." Eventually they will learn that it really is all right. I would also recommend exposing him to lots of different types of situations outside the home as well as in the home. Socialization in all types of settings is very important to do.
I totally agree! I would be calm and supportive to him, but not coddle and comfort him. This will only reinforce in his mind that there really is something to be afraid of. I am a huge fan of Cesar Millan. I've noticed in his shows that when he is rehabilitating animals with these types of issues, he will repeatedly (and patiently) do an "exercise" with them over and over. So maybe you should practice the dishwasher first, since this is something you likely use often. Maybe start the dishwasher then have him walk past it with you. Repeat it until he gets use to it, you may have to do it several times, and for a few days in a row. When he successfully does the exercise calmly, THEN shower him in affection. Just offering suggestions for how I would deal with this. I feel sorry that the poor little guy is so afraid of nothing.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!