View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Capone View Post
What do you do when your dog is really scared. Capone is afraid of everything. But lately it seems to be getting worst and I feel like its really stressing him out. If he hears a loud noise he will start uncontrolably shaking and try to hide. It's little things like drilling a hole in the wall or the dishwasher and he freaks out and shivers and hides and won't come to me. What is the right way to work on this problem? What I do know is pick him up and craddle him and spoil him until he stops shaking, but I don't know if thats the right thing to do, any suggestions.
Trainers say that is the wrong thing to do. The reason why is that it reinforces their belief that they really do have something to be afraid of. The supposedly correct thing to do and I have done this in the past is that everytime they show fear - use the same phrase - like, "It's all right." You should go on and act like everything is fine. Repeatedly tell him that "It's all right." Eventually they will learn that it really is all right. I would also recommend exposing him to lots of different types of situations outside the home as well as in the home. Socialization in all types of settings is very important to do.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!