View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
FunkyMunkie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Luna has always brought back the toy ever since she was 10 weeks old, her problem is LETTING go of the toy.

The trainer had suggested 2 methods of teaching her how to fetch and let go. She also mentioned that it is important to use the same toy everytime and only for teaching fetch. Meaning, put away the toy unless you're going to play fetch.

1st methods involves having 2 toys of the same value. What you do is throw the first toy, tell them go get it (usually they go get it on their own anyway), call them to bring it back, on their way back say "good" and then throw the other toy...and keep it going...like a cycle. When they bring one, throw the other. It takes some good practice. Luna really doesn't get this method too well. She's way too smart and has learned that I take the toy from her so she runs pass me before I can even say "good".

The other method may work better and actually works with Luna when she's more treat hungry lol...You use only 1 toy of great value (again putting it away so that when they see it they associate "fetch" with it). What you do is throw the toy with one hand and in the other you place a treat and leave it behind your back. When they come back with the toy you trade it with the treat and say "good". The trainer said for us to not say "good" unless they bring it directly to our hand, right there we switch and give them a treat. The problem with this method for us, is that Luna loves to go play with the toy, so she ignores the treat and keeps her eyes on the toy.

We're still trying to work on this one, after Luna recovers we're back to boot camp training... hehe

Hope this helps!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!