View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Barbara92021
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Starting training all over with 3yo Yorkie!

I am sooo frustrated! Of our 2 Yorkies, ShyAnne, who w/b 3yo in April, has always been a stubborn one when it comes to potty training. Ginger, who just turned 4yo, has never had a problem with using the peepads. She has never even had an accident.

ShyAnne, was doing pretty good with using the peepad to pee on. BUT, we can't have area rugs in front of the sink or in front of the doors and we have to close the bathroom doors (floor mats) b/c she pees on them, sooner or later! Without fail! The breeder we bought her from, lets the pups pee/poop on the area rug inside, in front of the door. We never noticed that until we were leaving and I said something like "oops! somebody piddled here!" The breeder said it was OK b/c she "lets the babies do that". All I could think, at the time, was "oh! great!"

ShyAnne was 12 wks old when we got her and I thot that was good b/c I had read that those 4 wks between 8 and 12 wks old, the pups learn good socializing and such from their Moms. In this case, all I could think was "oh no! She has had 4 wks more of training to pee on the rug!"

The biggest problem with ShyAnne, right from the start, has been that, periodically, she poops in different spots throughout our home and I can't figure out why, or if there is a specific time that she does b/c she does use the peepad, too. Becuz I don't work away from home, both of our furbabies have had free run of the house when I am home. When they are left alone, they are gated in a room (with their peepads, beds and water) and still, ShyAnne poops anywhere but on the peepad!

Now, this past 2 wks, she has started piddling all over the place and using the peepad, too!! I can't believe it!!! What could've caused this? She even stopped and peed right in front of me this morning! Thankfully, we have laminate flooring thoughout! I've been washing the floor right after I pick up her pooping accidents (or intentions) with a cleaner that doesn't have ammonia. This past couple weeks, I have been doing the same thing for her piddle spots.

I have tried different products (probably spent a small fortune!) to keep her from using the area rugs as peepads but nothing works! I use Nature's Miracle to clean up the rugs but my rugs are getting worn out from too many washings!! I haven't purchased an area rug over $10 since we got her.

Does anyone know what to do about this potty training problem? Is it OK to gate ShyAnne in one room and let Ginger be on her own, roaming and snoozing where she wants to? I am trying hard not to think that ShyAnne will be upset by this arrangement b/c she has had all this time to come and go as her sister does. The room is where their little chairs are - in front of a big window that is only 8" off the floor and where there peepads are always kept. It is right beside the front door and she can see us coming and going in the rest of our one level home.

The reason I haven't taken the time to do anything before this is b/c I have MS and it's just since Nov/09 that I have been able to walk around - even parked my wheelchair! New pain management has turned my life around completely!! Right when things go good for me, the little one relapses. It was bad enuf that I had to clean up her poo-poos, from time to time, but now this piddling, too!!!

I need some serious help! It has been easier for me to keep her under my watchful eye these days b/c I can move around so much better. I've been giving her treats and lots of bigtime praise when she uses the peepad but it doesn't seem to make any difference! Argh!! Help! Please!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!