View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
addevo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

OK, so I'll go with the consensus and stick with the EN. And since it sounds like the indication to add a probiotic is diarrhea, I don't think Tina needs that now, either. She rarely has diarrhea - it usually only accompanies a pancreatitis attack, and those alwasy start with vomiting. But she definitely needs the metronidazole on a daily basis, the time the vet suggested discontinuing it, she had an attack about 2 weeks later.

The labeling on dog food is so counter-intuitive. In human labeling, they post the actual content. Can you imagine if they were labeling the "minimum" on fat content? We'd see premium Ice Cream labeled "min 1%" fat!

I mentioned before that Tina is a fussy eater. I feed her twice daily, on a regular schedule, same amounts at each feeding. Since using the Rx dry food, I add warm water to it and let it stand until it gets soft, then mash it up for her. (she also has protein losing enteropathy and rarely drinks water from the bowl, so I try to keep her well hydrated to help her kidney functions) Sometimes she dives right in and gobbles it up. Other times, she sniffs and walks away. I asked the vet, and she suggested adding a teaspoon of canned cat food. She said to look for the low fat ones, esp ones for seniors or overweight cats. That usually works. I rotate among several brands. (what she likes one day, she will sniff and walk away from the next).
Usually INOVA, evo, Holistic select, Halo, Avoderm, Instinct.

I'm reluctant to use the tough love approach and just let her go without a meal. So I may be reinforcing some "diva" behaviours, but she has trained me to cater to her every whim! I let her get by with it because I don't know any other way to make sure she gets her meds.

So do you have any suggestions on what to use to entice her? Is there anything better than cat food?

Last edited by addevo; 02-19-2010 at 05:27 AM.
addevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!