Thread: Losing weight
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
kjcmsw
YT 500 Club Member

Default Losing weight

My 13 month old Yorkie has lost 3/4 of a pound and I'm wondering if this is common. The situation: She acts fine, plays, eats well, not ill...all appears well. She weighed 5 1/2 pounds for a long time, then gained that 1/4 pound while she was in heat. She had a long first heat (about 5+ weeks). I have just went back to work (she's one of those that's been very attached to me - so she might be stressed at my absence) though we do have another (8 month old) Yorkie (a friend we got just for her five months ago, to help her with her separation anxiety - well, that was my excuse for getting another one, as it turned out they're great buddies!). The problem: She's boney. I can feel her butt & rib bones thus I'm concerned. We feed Royal Canin puppy - though about 2 months ago I started adding the Yorkie adult Royal Canin to the mix. They also get a teaspoon of Blue (venison) canned a day. The other Yorkie is a little chub - but knows the pecking order and doesn't take her food away, so I don't suspect the food. So my question is: is it normal to be able to feel their bones? I had a vet tell me they're like people, some skinny, some not so skinny, but I don't like the idea of her losing weight and being able to feel her bones. Any ideas or comments?? Physical stress of first heat, hates it when I leave (if someone else is at home when I'm gone, they report she just stays by the window all day and waits for me) -- could all that be contributing to her weight loss? Thanks for responses. (sorry so long, just trying to clear up the situation/speculations)
kjcmsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!