Thread: new puppies
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
tiaramp7
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Hi - we have 2 new babies and they are 3 1/2 weeks now. Mom is doing great and eating several times a day. She is feeding and cleaning the babies well - I could use a little more information on "diapering".

We don't agree with docking so we decided not to dock their tails -- but I do need a more information on removing their dew claws - obviously I didn't do this - is it a problem? Is it too late? Is there something else I need to do?

Tiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
You did not say how old these puppies are or how many?

I don't know your situation or if you bred your girl intentially. But, in efforts to do the best for this litter you need to prepare yourself for a busy, busy time.

My advice is that you make sure their mother is having all her needs met first. That is your first line of defense in keeping these puppies healthy. Make sure she is being fed a minimal of 5 meals a day og good quaility food.

For the first 8 weeks of a puppies life all they need is mother. But, you need to weigh them daily. Make sure mother is keeping them cleaned, this is including diapering.

Pups should be taken to the vet (since I assume that you aren't versed in how to doc tails and/or remove dew claws) to have the vet perform this task....this should be between 3 and 5 days.

Lots of info out on the web.
tiaramp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!