View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Gennies
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TerrorsMom View Post
Oh Geez, long story why a Boston Terrier owner is on a Yorkie Site (my friend's yorkie got terrribly burned at groomers and I joined the site to get help...and yorkie prayers have worked!) - but this topic caught my eye. Poo eating is very common..never knew that until confronted with the problem with my youngest. So common it has a name "Coprophagia". Sounds like it could be a temporary issue with your little one due to the colitis. But if it doesn't help..I offer what worked for me. I tried the Excel, other off shelf and couple different things from vet, was in tears over it. I couldn't pick it up fast enough, she beat me to it everytime...and the only thing that worked (and still does 99% of time) was a suggestion from another dog owner...I changed her food to Innova "small bites" - it is 100% natural, no beef..it's turkey..within a week I saw a major difference. Vet also recommended a diet change due to recent research. I feed all 3 of my dogs the Innova - it's rather pricey and you will need to find out who sells in your area...but well worth the $ to give it a try. A friend also uses it based upon my recommendation and her 2 yorkies love it.
I have to say, I did have Bijou on Innova small bites and it didn't work for her. What has worked is a high fiber diet the vet sells it. Veterinary Diets Diebetes Colitis by Purina.

We also did the Excel...my vet said it could have made her intestines to become inflamed, or it could be her food, or it could just be something she was born with. It's kind of like irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mly View Post
Bella used to eat her poop when she was younger. I was told it was because the food had too much protein in it and when she poops it out, it's still good I'm not to definite on it though. Once I switched her food though, she stopped doing it.
I've heard that before too. All I can say is if she has runny pooh like mine did it could also be the Colitis. It's not an expensive test either. Was surprised on that one. Sorry I can only tell you what I know that happened with Bijou. Good luck.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!