View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
dwerten
BANNED!

That is a tough one - i have a pancreatitis dog on purina ha and has been working for 4 years - he ate raw for 6 mos a year before being diagnosed with severe pancreatitis and almost dying. This is one expensive disease to treat if chronic. Mine has ibd of small intestines and if yours does too i would not feed raw and here is the reason as the ibd is inflamed intestines thus if food gets stuck in inflamed intestine you may have bacteria issues and things like hge so ibd dogs should not be fed raw for this reason in my opinion but others may feel differently - i personally am not willing to risk another episode as it cost me 10k over a year to get him back on track but you have a unique situation which is a picky eater luckily mine will eat it and the diet he is on is purina ha it is 8% fat.

Also i would not supplement with any fatty acids with a pancreatitis dog like salmon oil, fish oil or even coconut oil makes me nervous even though some feel it is ok - while rare it can trigger it and with a chronic not acute case i would stay away from those

many on here like Holistic Veterinarian Pet Nutritionist Holistic Pet Care my only issue is dogs with pancreas and ibd issues i do not like any inflammatory foods like white potato in diet and sometimes she recommends that which concerns me - i think sweet potato or rice are better for them

does dog vomit or have diarrhea as mine only vomitted never diarrhea so it is small intestine issue and if diarrhea then large intestinal issue

oh and my guy takes no pills and the fact that you are giving antibiotics which kills all the bacteria good and bad then putting raw in digestive tract also concerns me so possibly you can do probiotics instead of metronidazole just a thought

Last edited by dwerten; 02-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!