View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

Default Lucy's 2nd Bile Acid Test Results - Thoughts?

Her pre was less than 5 (previously 51) and her post-feeding test result was 35 (previously 41).

Her vet does not think that she needs to go to Ohio State for the scintography. He thinks she has mild MVD with no symptoms at this time.

He recommends that we just keep doing what we are doing - which is basically nothing since she has no symptoms. She is still on her Purina Puppy Chow (I know) - mixed with some lower protein Wellness that I discovered. All protein treats have been discontinued - which I did on my own after reading on here. Apple and Cheerios instead.

He does not recommend any supplements at this time.

He says he is comfortable doing her spay and has other liver dogs that he follows.

I'm ok with everything that he said except that he won't give me the prescription food at this time. Also, I think she should take milk thistle . . but perhaps I can get this on my own at a health food store???

Dwerten, I know I saw a thread that mention the specific anesthesia that should be used for liver dogs. I'll try to find it and make sure that is what he uses when he does her spay.

If anyone has any thoughts let me know. Right now, Lucy is fine with no symptoms.

Refresher - she had a sibling PTS as a baby for liver shunt. Lucy's puppy liver enzymes were normal. We first BAT tested 1 month ago after she had a bad week-end after eating some Alpo that a neighbor had given me.
No symptoms since that time. No more Alpo either.

I just want to do the right thing and perhaps I already am. I'm a little concerned that he won't give me the rx food but he just says she doesn't need that right now. "Be careful what you feed her - but what she's on right now appears to be fine."

Thanks for your thoughts. I love my little girl; she is so sweet and I want to have her for a long, long time.
Ringo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!