View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
BusyMominAL
Senior Yorkie Talker

You've already said you're going with a wire crate- just wanted to second that. I used a wire crate for my mini schnauzer when we got her 5 years ago. I got a fairly big one, and used the divider when she was a puppy. It's much bigger than the "just able to turn around in" rule says, but she's done fine with it- no accidents in the crate.

We're using an x-pen with our Yorkie puppy, so I thought one of the small plastic carrier type crates might work well. Not so much. Less than 24 hours after we had her home she had learned how to hop up on top of it and peer over the top of the ex-pen. We figured it was only a matter of time before she tried to jump over/out of the ex-pen, so that crate was short lived. We went and got the x-small wire crate and while it would have been fine now (she's 4 mos. 3 1/2 lbs.), I couldn't imagine her being much bigger and being comfortable in it, so we swapped it for the small size. The small one comes with a divider, but we aren't using it and don't have any problems with her pottying in there.

We thought she would like the plastic crate- it would be more den-like being more closed in, but she didn't. She hardly ever went in it. We figured out after getting the wire one that she didn't like not being able to see anything while in there. We learned quickly that Yorkies are VERY social and want to keep track of their humans at all times!

Good luck with your new puppy!
BusyMominAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!