View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Weneebug
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwerten View Post
accidents happen as sad as it is we try so hard to keep them safe but sometimes things happen - you cannot beat yourself up over it as what is done is done and he knows you did not hurt him on purpose - all we can do is once we know better we do better
Thank you for saying that because I have been beating myself up over this..at first I beat my husband up over it because it was his medication that was left out. I know he wouldn't do anything to hurt Harley because he loved him just as much as I did but I was angry with him for a while. The medication was mobic...it was prescribed to my husband. He had fractured a disc in his back and the broken piece was lodged against a nerve so his movement was very limited. The doctor had put him on bed rest until he could have the surgery. There was no one there to take care of him so he decided to put everything he needed (medication included) on the nightstand beside the bed so he would be able to reach it and not have to get up. It was a bad idea but he was also on pain meds so he probably wasn't thinking clearly. Thank goodness when it happened my teenagers had already got home from school. My husband got up to go to the restroom and a few minutes later my daughter heard Harley playing with something so she went to check on him and discovered he had the bottle of pills. He chewed it enough that they fell out. They called the vet and were told to induce vomitting. They induced vomitting but didn't see any pills. The first time he was hospitalized he was in for one night and they said that he was doing so well they were sending him home. The vet couldn't believe how well he was doing. The only signs he had at first was vomitting and he laid around a little more. The vomit didn't look like coffee grounds but it was dark and sometimes you could see small blood clots in it. After about the first week he was just about back to normal...playing and everything but was still vomitting. So he was hospitalized again because of his vomitting. The vet told me at that time that his gums were pale and he had low platelets but he wanted to keep an eye on him because he didn't think he was to the point of needing a transfusion at that time but if he kept bleeding he would. He was at the hospital 5 days so they could keep a close eye on him. He was doing so well they decided to go ahead and send him home. He still had some vomitting but it had slowed down and it was clear...didn't show any signs of blood. He was on Cimetidine, calcium and one other medication (I can't think of the name of it and don't have my paperwork with me.) It was after the 2nd hospitalization that he started going downhill.
Dwerten...thanks for all of the information and for being so kind. I was really scared to post all of this information because I didn't want to get beat up over it...believe me I am doing enough of that myself. I just wanted to get some other opinions. You may be right about the perforated intestines...I'll have to read a little more on that. The last time I took him to the vet that Sunday I had noticed that day that his stomach was swollen and I know he didn't have a bowel movement from the time he went to the emergency vet on Friday until he went to my vet on Sunday. Thanks again!
Weneebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!