View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Luvmypupster
YT 500 Club Member

I brought my female yorkie home to my 2 year old male maltese over a year ago. Bentley (my malt) was just as you described, very attached to me, seperation anxiety, had little to do with anyone elses and would be depressed when I left the house. I wanted him to be happier too and thought playmate might help easy some of his anxiety and depression. I also worried that it might hurt his feeling my betraying him LOL. Anyway, when I brought her home I didn't carry her in the house in my arms but carried her in platic carry crate. I took Bentley and the crate out to the backyard oopened the door and let her out so that she just wasn't sprung on him ,in his house. I made sure the first week or 2 to give him his treats first, her second,took him on walks without her, picked him up first, did everything with him "first" and tried not to ohh and aww too much over the new puppy. The first 3 days he stayed away from her but slowly warmed up. He isn't very playful anyway but now does actually play with toys ever so often and loves to play chase with Mia. Bentley is dominate and Mia is very submissive. It has all worked out for the better. I don't have the seperation anxiety or depression form him anymore. I'm glad I did it. Just continue to treat him like you do now, treat him "first" and as if he is top dog and hopefully it will work out fine. Just don't be upset if it takes a few days or I guess even weeks. Also monitor him around her to see how he treats her. Feed them in seperate bowl at least at first until you know if he will be willing to share bowls.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!