View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
orlnurse
♥Max & Lily♥
Donating Member

Thank you ladies...I've already been to the vet with Max. The doctor didn't seem too concerned with the cotton balls. He examined Max, no abdominal tenderness, no distention, stools normal, appetite normal.... He said that cotton balls are usually fairly easy to pass and that he probably already passed it since he stools 2x day. I asked him if it could be his diet...he was leaning more toward the vomiting resulting from his diet rather than the cotton balls. He's been eating the raw patties for about 3 weeks and on Acana for a couple of months.

Here was his treatment plan:
1. A shot of nausea & vomiting at the office
2. Anti nausea pills to take at home
3. Antiboitics-- in case he has an infection
4. Prescription diet--Hills's I/D kibblej

What??? I asked him if I could just keep Max on dry kibble for a week and see if anything changes. I told him I'd rather be a little more conservative with his treatment. I'm not concerned with dehydration as he's not having constant vomiting or diarrhea. He said he was fine with whatever I decided to do. So then I look at the ingredients of the prescription dog food...it has corn and some other things that I don't feed Max.

I asked the petnurse if I was being unreasonable by not wanting to do what the Vet suggested; and if I could keep him on the Acana that he' s been on for months. She did say that 33% crude protien may be a little high for him and that I should change him to something with 28% crude protein or less. Atremis has 23% crude protein so I may change him to that next. Of course, if the vomiting persits, I will take him back.

Needless to say I'm changing vets to someone who is not so aggressive. Am I wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions...

Lesley, Maximilian & Lily Rae
orlnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!