View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
lil fu fu girl
No Longer a Member

It is one tough decision.
However, in my area in the NE, Icterohaemorrhagiae cases have become increasingly prevalent. Two dogs up the street were diagnosed this year. In consideration that you and your family can then acquire it from your dog.... I just could not take the chance with a heart-kid.

A common misconception of Leptospirosis is that you have to live in the country to acquire it. Unfortunately this is not true. Cats are known carriers of this disease, as they are not affected by it, and can pick it up in their travels if they are allowed outside. Then, if this cat urinates in your yard, your pups can pick it up there. The JVMA has found that dew on the grass that has been urinated on by an infected animal, can in turn infect your animal. It is an ever increasingly infectious disease.

If you do decide to get the shots, I always take mine in and get a steroid first and then have them take the shot. Also, I stay at the vets an extra 40 minutes to make sure that there are no indications that a reaction will occur.
Whichever way you choose, good luck to you and your pups!
lil fu fu girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!